I hope these words are a wrecking ball

My thoughts and opinions about music, people, politics, and the joys and annoyances life sends my way.

Helping with the diary aisle...

         A friend recently shared with me a story of something that happened to him at work.  In his story I feel he unknowingly stumbled upon the revelation of what evangelism should actually look like.  I'd like to share a summary of the story here.

         This friend works at a 24 hour grocery store stocking shelves and wrangling runaway carts from the parking lot.  One day recently, after he had finished his own work, he found himself in conversation with a co-worker.  After some time they came upon the topic of my friend's faith in which he professed his Christianity but, for whatever reason, went no further than to explain his own beliefs.  The co-worker picked up on this and expressed his surprise that my friend had not gone on to try to convert him.  My friend replied, "I could do that, but for now I'll just help you with the dairy aisle."
          This simple exchange is the heart of evangelism.  Had my friend chosen to attempt to convert his co-worker, he would have failed.  His co-worker had already expected that and made a decision that he would reject that sort of behavior.  Instead my friend chose to help him with an immediate need and in doing so my friend avoided the common secular perception of evangelical christians who are too busy trying to convert "sinners" to actually help people.  These people are selfish and shallow in their deeds.  In the Gospels,  Jesus referred to people like this as "white-washed tombs."  Instead, my friend evangelized like Jesus did; first meeting needs, and then sharing the gospel.   I hold that this method is not only more biblical, but more effective.  Go ahead and try to prove me wrong, but I'd bet that people will be much more receptive if you just help them with the dairy aisle.

0 comments: